Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I ALMOST feel bad for telemarketers

The other day I came home to my apartment, and there was a message on the machine. Since no one ever uses that phone except tele-marketers and bill collectors, I knew I wasn’t interested in what the message said, but I decided to listen, just for shits and giggles. Here is a transcript:

“Hello, is this Mr. Jeremy Edberg?”
[pause]
“Great, how are you today?”
[pause]
“My name is Jim, and I’m calling on behalf of the San Francisco 49’s, do you mind if I ask you a few questions?”
[pause]
“Great! Are you a sports fan?”
[pause]
“Excellent! How do you feel about the 49’s this year?”

This went on for about 10 minutes. It got worse and worse. Clearly the niners are desperate for fans, based on the questions, and clearly this guy knew that he was not being monitored. He was probably being paid by the hour, and not the call. I just wonder what answers he was writing down for me…