Monday, August 7, 2006

I played Dungeons and Dragons this weekend

Yes, the nerdiest of all nerd games. It all started when we went out with my girlfriend's brother, who wanted to tell the family about his engagement. Afterwards, he mentioned that they were going to a friend's house to play DnD. I mentioned that I hadn't played in about 15 years, so he told me to come over.

It turns out my girlfriend had never played the game, nor seen it played. She asked how it worked. This was our conversation:

Me: "There is one guy in charge, called the Dungeon Master. He runs the game, plays all the other characters, and plays all the bad guys."

Her: "So what do you guys do?"

"We tell him what our characters are going to do. It works like this. I say 'I want to enter the room'. He says 'Ok, roll the dice to see if you can find the lightswitch'. Then I roll a 12 and he says 'OK, you found the lightswtich, but it was trapped, so now you are poisoned.'"

"I'm sorry, that sounds REALLLLLY boring".

She then came and watched us play, and laughed as the game progressed pretty much as I described.