Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I'm the victim of racisim

My girlfriend was out of town for a week, so I was own my own for dinner. I decided I was going to cook a different meal each night of the week. On Monday, Indian food was the entre de jour. I had to get some pretty specific stuff for the meal I was making, so I went to the nearby Indian supermarket (yes, I live in a very diverse area with Indian and Korean supermarkets). I like shopping at the Indian market because it is closer to my house, has better prices, and is the only place to buy a package of naan. It was late at night and the market was crowded. But I noticed something odd - I was the only white person in the store. As a matter of fact, I was the only non-Indian person.

People were giving me funny looks. I could tell they wanted to ask me, "What are you doing in here?" How could I tell you ask? Because one of the people asked me, "What are you doing in here?" It was this really creepy guy, who started asking me where I live, what I do, etc. He even went so far as to wait for me to come out of the store so he could as me more questions. The best question he asked me was, "Did you learn about Indian food working in Bangalore?" I suppose this is only fair: we accuse them of stealing our jobs, they accuse us of going to India to recruit them to steal our jobs.